One of the things freelancers look out for is how to work productively from home.
As a freelancer, there are several places you can work from; you can work from home or you can work in a co-working space.
A co-working space is a shared working environment where people (mostly freelancers and remote workers) who work independently for a wide variety of clients, companies, individuals, etc. work together in the same space.
There is a rise of co-working spaces in Africa, as entrepreneurs are beginning to see a community of freelancers, remote workers, start-ups that need a professional yet flexible and functional environment they can work from.
It is important to note the benefits of working in co-working spaces, and some of them are:
- Less distractions: when working in a co-working space, it is possible that you will be less distracted because everyone is focused on their works and people want to get things done.
- Facilities: one of the reasons why people like co-working spaces is because of the facilities that are put in place in them. Some people live in areas where there is unstable power supply and the internet connectivity is poor. Some co-working spaces also have basic facilities like scanners, printers, and so on that will help you with your job.
- Flexible work environment: a co-working space also has a flexible working environment. You don’t have to be dressed corporately in a co-working environment. You can dress casually and take breaks when you want to take them.
- Flexible Membership options: there are co-working spaces that also have different membership options for people. You can subscribe for a day, a week, a month, or a year; depending on what you want.
- You can find new collaborations: at co-working spaces, you may also find people that you can collaborate with and work with. There different types of people in co-working spaces, who are working for different types of clients, companies, and individuals, that might be beneficial to you, and vice versa.
- Network: you can also network at co-working spaces and build your contacts also. You can also locate people who you need to establish contacts with them and network effectively.
- You are surrounded by passionate people: co-working spaces can also make one motivated, as one will be surrounded by people who are passionate about their jobs and projects. This can make someone motivated.
When choosing a co-working space, there are lots of things to consider, and here are some of them:
- Location: the co-working space should be one that isn’t too far from your house. You should be able to easily access the co-working space without stress.
- Safety: you also need to look out for your safety. Is the co-working space located in a safe environment? Are there safety measures put in place? etc.
- Facilities: you also need to look at the co-working space to ensure that it has basic facilities that will help one work smoothly. Some of those basic facilities are: internet, scanner, printer, good chair, proper lighting, etc.
- Amount: another thing you need to do is to ensure that you know the amount that will be paid to be able to use the co-working space.
- Usage: are there things to note when using the co-working space? rules and regulations? code of conduct? etc.
Do you use co-working spaces? How has your experience been?
Do you like this article? Kindly share it with others!